Saturday, February 7, 2009

Humble Beginnings

Basketball is a beautiful sport. While I enjoy most, if not all sports, it is basketball that has always been my game of choice. Even if you don't know what ESPN stands for, chances are you have seen somebody do something with a basketball that made your jaw drop. For that, I love basketball. The athletes are some of the most incredible in the world, and there are ways NBA players find to put the ball in the basket that a mere mortal like myself could never even dream of and are truly awe-inspiring.

For that, I love basketball.

My favorite thing about basketball, however, is the dynamics of the sport itself. In my opinion, no sport better encapsulates the coexistence of individual and team struggles, and the balance that must be achieved between the two to find success (sorry, Kobe). There is so much joy, and sorrow, to be had watching your favorite player or team fight to win a game and strive for the ultimate goal - a championship. The same could be said for any sport, but what separates the NBA is the way one player can influence the outcome of a game/series/season (the only thing comparable is a goalie in the NHL). As a result, players in the league become deified and marketed as Superstars the way that only quarterbacks can be in the NFL (with a few notable exceptions - LT, for example).



This can lead to very strong opinions about individual players, making them a Rorschach test of sorts (hence the title). This blog will contain various, extremely important peoples' opinions about their favorite players and teams, games that they watch, or.. just about anything they want.

Oh, I should probably disclose now that Michael Jordan is the GOAT (greatest of all-time, but you already knew that). The proof is in the picture (I realize Russell has more rings, and I would love to argue with anyone who has a case for Bill or any other player in the comments section).

















Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I dare somebody to say that somebody other than Michael Jordan is the greatest player in NBA history.

    ReplyDelete